Thursday, August 05, 2004

mEnTaL mODeLs

I’ve been thinking about mental models. Heard about this concept from Peter Senge’s ‘The Fifth Discipline’ from a workshop I attended 2 years ago and now actually ‘studying’ them in one of my modules in my masters programme.

Mental models are basically the way we think about things. They have been studied in the psychology domain, specifically in the theory of thinking and reasoning. Our past experiences play a significant role in forming our mental models, correctly or incorrectly. They are useful to understand why two persons may look at the same thing, but see them differently.

I wonder whether mental models can shed new light on understanding how users organize information. Am also looking into taxonomy currently.

Here is the video clip shown by the Prof. on mental models. Quite cool. http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~cflds/FrenchAd2_Hyundai.htm

4 Comments:

Blogger Ivan Chew said...

Interesting post. Certainly food for thought. My reply to your post became longer that I decided to post it in my blog instead :)

http://ramblinglibrarian.blogspot.com/2004/08/mental-models-taxonomies-windows-of.html

9:31 PM  
Blogger Ivan Chew said...

BTW, you should hyperlink the URL you listed. There's a
Hyperlink' icon in blogger.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Ivan Chew said...

You might want to take a look at this - esp. the last few para.
"Why Dewey's Decimal System is prejudiced"
www.hyperorg.com/backissues/joho-sep03-04.html#dewey

12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good afternoon bros. I'm actually into shoes and I was digging as far as something that singular brand. The prices as regards the boots were approximately 220 bucks everwhere. But finally I bring about this location selling them for half price. I exceptionally like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy these. what do you think?

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home